07 January 2009

They say one should make goals...


So then...whats the plan?

The obvious first step is to determine what I'm going to have to read and study before December 2010. That may seem like a long time away, but here, in January 2009, I can already see it coming.

Clyde Bell of the National Park Service has provided an exhaustive list of recommended readings for those desiring a chance at becoming a Licensed Battlefield Guide. To be fair and realistic, I have to take into consideration the fact that I'm both a full-time student at Georgia State and am pursuing full-time employment outside of school. Therefore, to burden myself with a nigh-impossible list of duties would be counterproductive. Instead, I'm going to triage the learnings with what I think I need more as opposed to that which I'm already comfortable with. With that in mind, I present my reading list (in alphabetical order by author's last name):

Gettysburg
Busey, John W & Martin, David S: Regimental Strengths and Losses at Gettysburg
Busey, John W: These Honored Dead: The Union Casualties at Gettysburg
Coco, Gregory A: A Strange and Blighted Land: The Aftermath of Battle
Coco, Gregory A: A Vast Sea of Misery: A History and Guide to the Union and Confederate Field Hospitals at Gettysburg
Coco, Gregory A: Gettysburg Confederate Dead

Dicorfano, Ken: They Saved The Union At Little Round Top: Gettysburg July 2, 1863
Frampton, Roy: Lincoln and the Human Interest Stories of the Gettysburg National Cemetery
Freeman, Douglas S.: Lee’s Lieutenants, Volume III
Gallagher, Gary (ed.):
The First Day at Gettysburg: Essays on Confederate and Union Leadership
Gallagher, Gary (ed.):
The Second Day at Gettysburg: Essays on Confederate and Union Leadership
Gallagher, Gary (ed.): The Third Day at Gettysburg: Gettysburg and Beyond

Gottfried, Bradlley: Brigades of Gettysburg
Hartwig, D. Scott & Ann Marie: Gettysburg: The Complete Pictorial of Battlefield Monuments
Hawthorne, Frederick W: Gettysburg: Stories of Men and Monuments
Longacre, Edward G.: The Cavalry at Gettysburg
Patterson, Gerald A.: Debris of Battle: The Wounded of Gettysburg
Pfanz, Harry W.: Gettysburg: The First Day

Pfanz, Harry W.: Gettysburg: The Second Day (re-read)
Pfanz, Harry W.: Gettysburg: Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill (re-read)
Stewart, George: Pickett’s Charge: A Micro History of the Final Attack At Gettysburg July 3, 1863

General War Knowledge
Catton, Bruce : Mr. Lincoln's Army
Catton, Bruce: Glory Road
Catton, Bruce: A Stillness at Appomattox

Warner, Ezra J.: Generals in Blue
Warner, Ezra J.:
Generals in Gray
Wiley, Bell I.: The Life of Billy Yank
Wiley, Bell I.: The Life of Johnny Reb


Memoirs
Berekely, Henry L.: Four Years in the Confederate Army (W.H. Runge. ed)
Carter, Robert G.:
Four Brothers in Blue
Casler, John O.: Four Years in the Stonewall Brigade (J.I. Robertson, Jr., ed)

Chamberlain, Joshua L.: The Passing of the Armies
Douglas, Henry Kidd:
I Rode with Stonewall
Fletcher, William A.: Rebel Private: Front and Rear (Bell I. Wiley, ed)
Gordon, John T.:
Reminiscences of the Civil War
Haley, John W.: The Rebel Yell and The Yankee Hurrah (R.L. Silliker, ed)
Livermore, Thomas L.: Days and Events
Stearns, Austin C.: Three Years with Company K (R.L. Silliker, ed)
Wainwright, Charles: A Dairy of Battle (Allan Nevins, ed.)
Watkins, Sam: Company Aytch: Or, A Side Show of the Big Show


So....as you can see, I have my work cut out for me. I'm not sure what order I'll be working on these, but I know my critical points of improvement are monument and portrait identification; thus I plan to work on those two the longest.

Also, I'll be making at least two sojourns to Gettysburg this year, hopefully in the spring and summer. The much-anticipated full battlefield hike will take place then. On a side note, perhaps I can revisit the Antietam battlefield while I'm in the area.

As I complete this reading list I'll also be posting a review and summary of the work both as a reference and to stretch my mental muscles.

As a final note, don't expect this blog to be solely a progress report on one man's quest to become a Licensed Battlefield Guide. No, it will also be used to report and share general history knowledge and findings with any readers whose eyes peruse these pages. I am a man of many interests, though...I plan on posting a plethora of political articles as well as discussions of current events, and even - perhaps - the occasional personal diatribe. Don't expect too many of those, though: this isn't Xanga.com.

Well then...on that note, I'm obliged to call this post complete. Safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment